Saturday, May 14, 2011

work outfits: polyester dresses and a home-dyed handbag

I've spent the last couple of days researching and scouting wedding locations, so I'm a little behind. Here are my outfits from Thursday and Friday, featuring an Italian leather handbag I picked up at Goodwill for $10. My secret? The handbag didn't always look like that; it initially came home dirty and stained. I will have a leather dye post up soon that will tell the whole story. In the mean time...

This dress seems like it was probably born in 1992. It's made out of a weird polyester knit that is almost bathing-suit-like, but thicker and better at hiding weird bulges. I wanted to wear it without hose, since the short sleeves seem too be paired a with leg-suffocating film, but that morning dawned too cold for me to leave the house bare-legged.

Item Original Price My Price Vendor Type Location
Heart Moon Star (Rampage) Dress $59 $1 swap meet Torrance
Henes Too Navy Tights $5 $1 99 Cents Only Los Angeles
Nine West Black Pumps $79 $25 Ross Cypress
L'Incontro Bowler Bag $485 $10 Goodwill Santa Monica
Outfit Total: $628 $37


Yet another polyester dress, thinner and more bathing-suit-like than the one before. This was my one and only Black Friday purchase -- an indulgence driven by my love for cats and my frustration over exorbitant Miu Miu prices.

The top was a really fun swap meet find; working in a business-not-quite-casual office, I tend to go through collared button-front shirts faster than I can replace them. This version from Banana Republic even sports some tiny white polka dots -- perfect for smuggling a bit of whimsy to work on Fridays.

Item Original Price My Price Vendor Type Location
Cat Print Dress $28 (plus shipping) $6.20 (plus shipping) internet internet
Banana Republic 3/4 Sleeve Shirt $70 $1 swap meet Huntington Beach
Carlos Santana Pumps $89 $25 Ross Los Angeles
Liz Claiborne Patent Belt $26 $1 swap meet Torrance
Outfit Total: $185 $33.20

No comments:

Post a Comment