Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dressed to Dress My First Dress For Success Client


I recreated yesterday's outfit, worn to Dress For Success, where I was able to style my first client!

It is actually too warm in the DFS office for a jacket, especially running around hauling clothes, so last week someone suggested I plan to be without one. I also planned without a bag, since I neither wear one nor have one near my while styling. The top ended up being great for ease of movement, but the skirt was less so. The narrow skirt and non-stretch material slowed my walk considerably, and I barely caught my bus!

Hi-low seeveless button front - local junior's store
Donna Rae paisley skirt - flea market
Nixon wrap watch - flea market
Report Marks booties - Piperlime clearance

I had an AMAZING time at DFS yesterday - I stayed for a solid 6 hours! First, I got my feet wet by assisting another stylist, who turned out to be a retired real-life stylist who worked for 30 years. She was wonderful, and we put together 5 outfits for 2 different ladies who had recently been hired. They were totally sweet and looked very professional in their new clothes. I learned that my professional bias skews *highly* formal, even though I thought my last job was super duper relaxed - who knew?

Next, my mentor gave me the green light to take the final client of the day myself. She was an adorable blonde with an edgy haircut, getting ready to interview for a job that involved booking fashion-related shows. She said she needed to look fashion-forward in addition to being professional. How much more fun could I have with my first client??

We quickly determined that she looked amazing in Italian jackets, and she literally did a happy dance when she slipped on an olive and burgundy pinstriped pantsuit. We thought the rest would be a breeze when we found a killer cream ruffled blouse to wear under, but we hit a big roadblock when it came to shoes and PPL! We did not have tons of shoes in her size, and she said she could not even afford to pay a tailor to let the hems down. BUT! The hems turned out to be serged with a really low-contrast thread, so I let them down myself with a seam ripper and steamed out the crease right on the spot. The shoes fell into place, and unless any of her interviewers bent down to inspect the hems at floor level, no one would ever know.

Afterward, the veteran stylist showed me how to work various appliances, how they organize the hangers, and even complimented my work with the clients. I had the best time!

Which is a good thing, considering my current career goals. Now, if only I can get a job... ;)

4 comments:

  1. Congrats!


    http://40andfashionista.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome day! I hate to sound fumb, but when you say "Italian jackets" do you mean a style? Or Italian manufacturers?

    Good luck with your job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an awesome day! I hate to sound fumb, but when you say "Italian jackets" do you mean a style? Or Italian manufacturers?

    Good luck with your job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, and thank you! I meant Italian-made or designed by Italian companies. If you like this post, you might also check out my new style blog at rachelklewicki.com/catchingrae. :)

      Delete